Preface--The Hows and Whys of This Book


            About eighteen years ago my Relief Society president, Sue Smith, came to me with a proposal. She expressed concern that the younger mothers didn’t have the advantage, as we did, of mother education lessons that were once part of the Relief Society curriculum. She asked if I would write a mother education lesson each month that would be printed on the back of the visiting teaching message to be left in the homes of the sisters. She gave me a list of topics, and I enthusiastically agreed to write the lessons if I could remain anonymous. I felt the teachings would be more effective if no one knew who authored them. The plan worked, and the ward sisters were receptive. But as the lessons emerged, I realized that most of the lessons were not specifically for mothers, because all women inspire children, and the lessons were basically the gospel in action—which, of course, applies to everyone. (With the church-wide restructuring of visiting teaching, my lessons have also become a thing of the past.)
            As the months became years, I heard that some of the sisters were compiling the lessons and sending them to their families, which gave me the idea to see if a publisher would make them into a book.
            This is the fifth in that “sister series.” First came Sisters in Zion in 2005, then We Are Sisters in 2007, next came Sister to Sister in 2009, then Sisters Forever in 2013. This new one is Ministering Sisters. Covenant Communications published the first four. I truly, truly thank them. However, I feel I am to a stage where I just want to make my unpublished writings available for free online.
            One big problem with going it on my own is that I have no editor to catch my mistakes. This will drive some of you crazy because I am a lousy proofreader and my knowledge of editing and grammar is not professional. If you are so inclined, I would appreciate knowing about the errors. I will fix them, learn from them, and thank you for your help.
            This is another book of short chapters averaging about one thousand words each—the length of my attention span. I hope you like the variety. All are for women—some specifically for young women, some for mothers, and some for women who are waiting for their husbands and children to show up. Some are ideas for family home evenings, some I hope men will read, some are for fun, some are seasonal, all focus on some aspect of ministering to others and yourself. All in all, I hope something will have been written that gives you a spiritual boost.
            Today my reading in the Book of Mormon was Mosiah 10. When I got to verse eleven, I saw in print the reason I write: “Now, the Lamanites knew nothing concerning the Lord, nor the strength of the Lord, therefore they depended upon their own strength” (Mosiah 10:11). I write about what it means to be a child of God. I try to let my little light shine that others will glorify our Father which is in heaven (Matthew 5:16). I write to share my knowledge of the strength of the Lord and to warn of the weaknesses inherent in depending on one's own strength, the strength of a world that knows not God. I write to talk of Christ, rejoice in Christ, and preach of Christ that my children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins (2 Nephi 25:26).
            I write acknowledging the fact that sometimes the words seem to type themselves on my computer screen. I have witnessed the truth: “Take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost” (Mark 13:11). I believe spoken or written it is the same process. Anything in this book filled with the Spirit, came from the Spirit. Everything else is just me.
            I know the doctrines discussed in these pages are true. I also know my limitations in articulating them. Although I am a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I take responsibility for the words. I am not a spokeswoman for the Church.
            The really happy thing about an online book is that readers can comment. I look forward to yours.


With my love and testimony, Marilynne.

(c) Marilynne Todd Linford, 2018





Comments

  1. Thank you for posting this. I loved your preface and look forward to reading and learning just as I have from your other books. Thanks again for sharing your talents and knowledge and testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has inspired me to share my thoughts and knowledge of life with others, as well. Not quite sure, yet, what form that will take, but I have been told I have a lot to share. Thank you for your generosity and courage!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: The Ministering Dilemma

Table of Contents