Chapter 23: Experiencing Experiences


            Father Lehi explained that experiences span the extremes from righteousness to wickedness, from holiness to misery, from good to bad. (See 2 Nephi 2:11.) The Lord said to Joseph Smith: “All these [good and bad] things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good” (D&C 122:7). I assume you have seen in your life as I have in mine that experiences expand wisdom and knowledge.
            The prophet Isaiah said experience evolves incrementally, “precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little.” If that were all Isaiah had written, you would expect life to be a steady upward climb. But when you read the rest of the verse, you realize he understood: “that they might go and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken” (Isaiah 28:13). Experience includes falling, breaking, and being snared by Satan. As we say: Life can sometimes be two steps forward and one step back.
            The scriptures show how Jesus Christ, who never succumbed to Satan’s lures, accomplished His life’s mission via varied experiences. “The Only Begotten of the Father… came and dwelt in the flesh… among us. He received not of the fulness at the first, but continued from grace for grace” (D&C 93:11-13 italics added).
            Continued is the key. The scriptures admonish: "Continue following the LORD your God” (1 Samuel 12:14); “O continue thy lovingkindness” (Psalms 36:10); “Continue in my word” (John 8:31); “Continue in the grace of God” (Acts 13:43); “Continue in faith” (Acts 14:22): “Continue in prayer” (Colossians 4:2); “Continue in fasting” (Omni 1:26); “Continue in keeping his commandments” (Alma 38:2); “Continue to teach” (Alma 38:10); “Continue to minister” (3 Nephi 18:32); “Continue in bearing my name before the world” (D&C 24:10); “Continue in patience” (D&C 67:13). “Continue in these things even unto the end” (D&C66:12).
            Jesus continued from grace to grace through His mortal experiences. He knew He had power and authority, but had He actually experienced turning water into wine? Had He healed leprosy, paralysis, a withered hand, an amputated ear? Had He cast out evil spirits? Had He cleansed the temple? Had He fasted forty days? Had He given directions on where to catch fish? Had He calmed a storm? Had He multiplied food to feed thousands? Had He walked on water? Did He know He would feel virtue go out of Him when someone who had faith to be healed touched Him? Had He given sight to the blind, voice to the dumb, hearing to the deaf? Had He pulled a coin from a fish’s mouth to pay taxes? Had He healed many at the same time? Had He brought the dead back to life? Had He experienced the disappointment of finding His Apostles asleep when He had asked them to watch with Him? Had He experienced saying goodbye to His mortal family and friends? Had He experienced the physical pain leading up to and including crucifixion? Had He experienced the Father withdraw His Spirit?
            Whatever His experiential curve was, one aspect of His first-hand experience is certain. He had not sacrificed His own life and three days later had His spirit brought back into His body. “But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept” (1 Corinthians 15:20).
            And there is more. Any experience He missed during His ministry, He experienced in the process of accomplishing the Atonement—every temptation, every pain, every sickness, every affliction. Why? “That the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people… that he may know according to the flesh how to succor [comfort and support] his people” (Alma 7:11-12). Through our experiences and His example, we likewise can learn to comfort and support others.
            The most lasting memories of experiences learned often come through personal pain. I experienced one of my best friend and walking partner’s death to cancer ten years ago. Most everyone knew Ellan Jeanne and I were close. We lived around the corner from each other; our daughters were best friends and roommates at BYU; we had walked and talked many mornings a week for many years. But when she died, no one said to me, “I’m sorry you have lost such a dear friend.” How I longed to hear words to acknowledge my grief. Very recently, I met a friend, Marla, on the street. I had found out earlier that morning by email, that Marla’s best friend and walking partner had passed away from cancer during the night. By chance, if we believe in chance, there we were talking. I told Marla how sorry I was that she had lost such a dear friend and told her of my similar experience. We cried and hugged and commiserated in shared understanding and grief.
            There are times to share similar experiences like I did with Marla. I felt it was appropriate in this situation because she knew Ellan Jeanne. Sometimes, however, when a friend is sharing hard stuff, I keep my own experiences to myself and focus on her and her needs. Ministering can happen both ways. I depend on the Spirit to let me know when to talk and when to listen. I find it interesting that even Jesus shared His most difficult life experience with others. "For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all... which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink" (D&C 19:16-18). I also find it interesting that some experiences are to be secured in the heart. "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart" (Luke 2:19).)
            I feel some experiences have been give to me to share openly in my writings, hopefully benefitting someone. Other experiences I feel to hold close and share only in sacred settings, if at all. I try to keep alert for experiences and boldly step into the void when my natural tendency would be to back away. After experiencing an experience, I try to digest it and then be on the lookout for more experiences the Lord is willing to send, line upon line, precept on precept.










(c) Marilynne Todd Linford

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preface--The Hows and Whys of This Book

Chapter 1: The Ministering Dilemma

Table of Contents